Wednesday, February 22, 2017

"Once I was a blithe singer..." interview with Shirley Collins

In the UK over Christmas I had the good fortune to meet and interview Shirley Collins. I was quite a latecomer to Shirley's music; once I'd made all the connections (Davy Graham, Incredible String Band, Alan Lomax) it seems crazy that it took me so long. Now rarely a day goes by where I don't listen to something by her. it's more than just the songs, it's the way she sings them; the way her voice feels like the first and last voice. My interview ran in the Spectrum on the weekend, I think the first time in my freelancing life where an editor has said 'more please'  - click here to read and for your listening pleasure here is the first song from the recent brilliant album Lodestar.


No comments:

Post a Comment