Friday, February 17, 2017

The Love Witch

The Love Witch, a new film with a 60s/70s aesthetic is only on for one more night at the Lido, Hawthorn. I highly recommend it! It's about a young witch in a California coastal town who's looking for love ... but is destined never to find it. It's funny and sly and rude and quite bonkers. And it looks amazing - clothes, sets. I don't know how writer, director,editor,stylist (auteur I would say) Anna Biller managed to find modern actors who look like C-grade Hammer Horror actors (Jerry, I'm talking to you), and I don't know if I'll ever get over the renaissance faire jongleur, or the 'ladies only' Stepford-esque teahouse, or Elaine's breasty artwork, all I know is this film made me feel strangely happy. Brava Anna Biller!

The divine Samantha Robinson

Was trying to find Elaine artwork - this is the closest I could get.

Visually like The Stepford Wives, kind of blowsy but still beautiful.

Or Roger Corman's The Trip

Scenes from Alex Sanders pulps!



No comments:

Post a Comment