Ghost Signs and Other Stuff Seen from Trains

I had the pleasure of interviewing Nick Gadd about his Melbourne Circle project. We talked psychogeography, ghost signs, old Richmond ...


I can remember catching the train into the city and looking out on the beer garden of the Corner Hotel, thinking it looked fantastic with all it's grime and parlour palms. In the late 80s/early 90s I used to frequent the Great Britain Hotel, the Richmond Club, the Central Club and other dives ... To me Richmond says trains, nights and waiting ...

After our walk I felt compelled to drive back to Berry St to see if Dogs in Space is still spray-painted on the road in front of the terrace house where the film was shot. It is.

Later, my Mum told me that she used to work at the Rosella factory (mentioned in the article). She was pregnant with my sister at the time and the smell of the tomatoes was vomitous.




You can read the full article here:

Nick writes beautifully about the less-seen side of Melbourne's history - his blog would make a fantastic book or documentary ... just putting that out there!









Comments

Popular Posts